Monday, December 18, 2006

Blueberry Muffins



Yesterday, I made a quick batch of our favorite muffins for breakfast. Anything on Sunday morning has to be quick - the Man has to be at the church by 8:00 - the Man-Cub and I wander over about 9:00 - so our Sunday morning is a bit more leisurely.

It's an old recipe from a Betty Crocker Cookbook - easily veganized:

3/4 cup milk - I used soy milk
1/2 cup oil - but I used applesauce instead - your pick
1 egg equivalent - I used flaxseed goo
2 cups all purpose flour - I used 1 cup AP and 1 cup Whole Wheat - you could probably use all whole wheat - but I've never tried it - it might be a bit heavy.
1/3 cup sugar
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries - the recipe says to thaw them but I don't - they seem to hold up better frozen. Also, I don't mix them into the batter when I do mini muffins - I just drop 3-4 berries on each muffin and press it into the batter with a spoon. When I'm making big muffins I do mix them in.

Heat oven to 400°. Grease bottoms only of 12 muffin cups or 24 mini muffin cups. Bake until golden brown. There is also a note that if you are using Self-rising flour to omit the salt and baking powder - but you probably already knew that.

In other news the caroling with the youth went well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment