Monday, February 05, 2007

Black Bean Soup and Cornbread

Y'all know it was about 35 degrees below zero here this morning. So we need lots of soup. Today I'm making black bean soup. The Man is at a retreat (at a convent- hehe) and the Man-Cub is back at school - and we have Cub Scouts tonight so we need a quick and ready dinner.


This is what I did for the soup:
Served here with Bryanna's Tofu Sour Creme - http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/661699.htm

1 cup Dried Black Beans - Rinsed and soaked overnight
4 cups Water - bring to a boil and add

1 Bay Leaf
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 cup chopped Onion
1/2 cup chopped Bell Pepper
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 tspoon Salt

1 cup medium grain White Rice - cooked for 20 minutes in 2 cups water

Combine the rice and beans and then splash on top:

1 T Balsamic Vinegar
1 T Lime Juice


I serve this with my Soymilk Cornbread - to this batch I added a Tablespoon of ground Flax Seed. I don't think anyone can taste it at all and it's pretty and good for you. I made 5 of these small muffins with:

2/3 cup Self Rising Cornmeal
1/2 cup light soy milk
1 T canola oil
1 T ground flaxseed meal
1/2 T apple cider vinegar - to make "Buttermilk" out of the soymilk

Served hot with a splat of Earth Balance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment