Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Replication

I'm trying to create a vegan version of a casserole my MIL used to make - I don't have a proper recipe - but I know the ingredients were a can of cream a celery soup - a carton of sour cream - some dried beef - and some chicken.

So I got started with the celery soup. I chopped up some celery and cooked it with a little water and a sprinkle of tumeric - so the finished soup would have that yellow-y color - then I added some flour and soymilk. This was really good - I'll make it again and just eat it with crackers - it's been a long time since I had cream of celery soup. It looks perfect - doesn't it?

Then I sliced some tofu up - ready for baking in a little olive oil - to take the place of the chicken.

And I sliced some tofu thinly and sauteed it with a little olive oil and then some soy sauce...

to give it the leathery/salty feel/taste of dried beef...

The finished chicken/tofu...

...torn into chunks...

I mixed some tofutti sour cream (thanks Mom) with the celery soup...

put it all in a casserole dish and baked it until bubbly...

it was really yummy - not quite like the 'real' thing - maybe next time I'll use seitan or some other chicken substitute.

0 comments:

Post a Comment