Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Winter is the king of showmen

Winter really hangs on here in the Northern Midwest - and when other people are posting about spring and flowers and the like we still have winter...

Winter is the king of showmen,
Turning tree stumps into snow men
And houses into birthday cakes
And spreading sugar over the lakes.
Smooth and clean and frost white
The world looks good enough to bite.
That's the season to be young,
Catching snowflakes on your tongue.
Snow is snowy when it's snowing
I'm sorry it's slushy when it's going.
--ogden nash

I like this poem a lot - because it's so true - everything does look pretty with a fresh layer of pristine snow - and young people really do love it - and we still have the slushy part to look forward to...

Normally my kitchen window looks like this - although it is the collection point for all rocks and twigs and freshly picked wildflowers and such 'found' things in the summertime - now in the winter it's pretty bare...

...but a couple of years ago the Man-Cub made me this flower to always brighten my window...

The Man brought me a single pink rose to replace the fading Valentines - so that I would have some flowers too...

It's in the milk glass vase that Grandma brought to Mom at the hospital the day I was born - I think it held pink roses then too...

4 comments:

  1. awww, ain't that sweet....love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - you keep showing off your flowers - so I had to show mine - just with a background of snow...

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that poem, too. Very apropos. The flowers are a great idea. Yes, that vase did hold two pink roses when you were born. E

    ReplyDelete
  4. what about me???? did anyone bring flowers when i was born? 3rd place....yellow ribbon, right?

    ReplyDelete