Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Make Your Own Bamboo Knitting Needles

...from skewers...

As I was wandering around the grocery store the other day - I spied these bamboo skewers - they were thicker than your average skewer - and I immediately thought - that looks like a knitting needle - that's just the way my mind works...

So I bought the pack of skewers - 50 for $1.

When I got home I 'checked the gauge' of the skewers - hehe - that sounds so funny to me - anyway they ranged from 5 to 6 - I wanted size 4 - they needed to be sanded anyway...

...first I sharpened the blunt end with a pencil sharpener - then I sanded away - I started with 80 grit and worked my way up to 120 - which was the finest I had...

...and voila - size 4 dpn's - for probably less than a dime...

I oiled the needles lightly with some safflower oil - they are so pretty and natural looking - I'm amazed that I didn't think to do this earlier - you know they make a smaller sized skewer too...

...and of course I couldn't wait to cast on...

I'm going to write up a pattern for these worsted weight socks - Cass inspired me with hers http://shutupimcounting.wordpress.com/2007/11/26/wick-sock-yarn-wear-review/ ages ago - I'm just now getting around to making them.

3 comments:

  1. hey - you should have been a boy scout, you're so frugal!! i would have expected nothing less! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I am a boy scout - aren't I?

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. nope, you may be cubmaster, committee member, boy-scout wanna-be, but you ain't got the right stuff (genes)! love, k

    ReplyDelete