Wednesday, August 05, 2009

No Knead Bread

I read Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day - and was intrigued with the whole '5 minute' idea...

...and so I thought I would try making no knead bread without storing any - just one batch - mainly because I never have room in my fridge for a big ole bowl of dough...

...So I mixed up (basically my bread machine recipe):

2 cups of bread flour
2 T sugar
1 T powdered soy milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp yeast
1 cup warm water
1 T canola oil

I just dumped all the ingredients into a big bowl...
...and stirred until everything was combined...



...Then I turned on the light in the oven and put the bowl in for 1 hour - when I came back it had doubled in size (at least)

- so I dumped it out on some flour on the counter - turned it over a few times and shaped it...originally I was just going to shape it into a boule on our pizza stone but then I remembered my little pyrex loaf pan and decided to use that instead......I put it back in the oven with the light on - I find that's the best place to let bread rise - it's draft free and the light gives just enough warmth......It turned out perfectly......and so I'm beginning to think there's no need to knead...haha...
...I think this was even easier than setting up the bread machine...

10 comments:

  1. Cool, I'm going to have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! Although sometimes it's so relaxing to get a good knead out of your system.

    When my mom was getting certified in CPR she would practice chest compressions as she kneaded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm gonna have to try this! next time i "need" bread. :)

    i'm with maria, though. sometimes i just need a good knead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a devoted fan of that cookbook. I have been making the olive oil bread all summer. It is a flatbread recipe, so good with salads. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of fresh bread.I don't have a bread maker so I don't make it but this recipe looks easy.

    Fresh hot bread for an up and coming restaurant night sound like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bread looks so pretty! Do you think this same recipe would work well if I used a loaf pan made of silicone?

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! that's all i have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't remember if I gave you this recipe for the famous Scottish oatcakes - hubby is 3/4 Scottish!

    Bill's Rona oatcakes
    This recipe is Bill Cowie's, island manager of Rona in the Inner Hebrides. He made a batch when we were filming and fishing with him in July. We devoured every last one, with cheese and homemade chutney. Makes about 20.

    140g medium oatmeal or porridge oats or half oats and half wholemeal flour (all make great bikkies – though I have never used oatmeal and usually use the oats and flour mix!)

    140g porridge oats

    10 twists of black pepper

    ½ tsp salt)

    75ml (3 tablespoons) extra-virgin olive oil or any other oil you have

    Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 and dust two baking trays with flour.

    Mix all the dry ingredients in a food processor and whizz till the oats are chopped up.

    Pour the oil in and whizz, then pour in enough boiling water to whizz it into a firm, not sticky, dough.

    Work quickly. Don't worry if you over-water a bit - you can remedy the situation when rolling out using wholemeal flour or oats.

    Form the dough mixture into a ball and leave it to rest for the time it takes to open a bottle and pour a glass of wine.

    Roll out the dough on a floured surface (dust with flour, too, if it's sticky) to about 5mm thick.
    Cut out discs with a cookie cutter (I use a 6cm one, I use a tumbler as I have no cookie cookers).

    Place on the baking trays and bake for 20 minutes, then turn and bake for a further five to 10 minutes. Cool on a rack.

    Store in an airtight container.

    These savoury biscuits are good with red bean pate, houmous or any dip. They can keep well if they aren't eaten up first.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't have powdered soy milk, will regular milk work as well?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peach,

    I'm sure it will work - Just replace the water with milk...

    ReplyDelete