Monday, February 08, 2010

Italian Slipper Bread - AKA - Ciabatta

I love the name Ciabatta - so named because the bread is said to resemble a well loved and well worn slipper...

I used the recipe in this book
but I found a link to this one online for you - Ciabatta-Italian-Slipper-Bread - it's much the same.

Make sure you allow plenty of time - the sponge has to 'develop' for 12 hours - so probably best done the day before...


It really is a wet dough and difficult to manage - make sure you flour your hands very well when you shape the loaf - and resist the urge to add any more flour.

But it is so worth it!

This loaf was perfection - crispy on the outside and a little bit chewy on the inside...

Check out The Vegan Version to see what we ate this with today...

4 comments:

  1. This bread looks yummy! I might just have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bread, it's the staff of life, right? What's not to love, especially home made bread with good, sturdy home made soup and dessert...can't forget something sweet.
    I've always loved the word Ciabatta as well...it r-o-l-l-s off the tongue and sounds, to me at least, so foreign and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your bread looks so wonderful!

    and your projects, in the room and the fish tank, look great!

    i've been working on some painting and rearringing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh - beautiful ciabatta!

    ReplyDelete