Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Baked Tofu Scramble (almost fat free)

...Y'all know I love me a good tofu scramble for breakfast...
...and today being Scout's last morning to sleep in and have a big leisurely breakfast before school starts - I decided to celebrate by making us one for brekkie...

...while Scout was still snoozing - I chopped up some peppers and onions...

...and mashed up a block of tofu with my potato masher on a piece of parchment paper - sprinkled it with salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash...I almost said it was fat free but tofu has some fat of its own - we just didn't add any...

...added the peppers and onions to the tofu...

...then stirred that every 15 minutes for about an hour - I was surprised at how long it took to achieve the texture I was going for - we like our scramble pretty well done with some chewy brown edges - if you like yours soft and moist it won't take as long...

...that looks just about right...now make some toast and vegan sausage...

...Ahhh! Perfection in a bowl...

5 comments:

  1. hey - we're in a tizzy lately - lot's happening so i haven't been leisurely online much. looks like you guys are enjoying the rest of summer. the tofu scramble looks yummy - i was surprised how long it took to cook, but i think i would want it that way too. leaving for niagara falls thurs...lots to do! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, now that looks really yummy. Like hash browns, only better. It looks worth the hour. We did have school, and the girls wanted eggs, bacon, a waffle, fruit, and OJ. Nothing like starting off the day right! Then I had to pack a picnic to meet friends after school, and out the door by 7 am. Can I go to bed now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make mine in a non-stick skillet and it goes pretty fast, but is the right consistency. Yours looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. another delicious recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome breakfast! Thanks for sharing! School time is approaching quickly; I can't believe it. Peace, Angela (Peach Coglo)

    ReplyDelete