Thursday, August 19, 2010

Oatmeal Ice Cream


I was intrigued by this post at The Non-Dairy Queen
...hmmmnnn....I thought - Oatmeal Ice Cream...

...so I got busy right away cooking up some for our afternoon snack...

...this is what it looks like after cooking...

...I put mine into the blender because I wanted it really smooth...

...Scout and I found this adorable Donvier Penguin Chillfast Ice Cream Maker at the Hospital Auxiliary Sale (more on that later) and I found the manual online (I love the internet) here...

...the little sleeve had been in the freezer overnight and you just pour your ice cream mixture in...

... and start turning...

...turn the handle every few minutes...

...until it becomes really difficult to turn...then check your ice cream...ours was so frozen that most of it stuck to the beaters...

...then just scoop it up...

...it looked and felt just like 'ice cream'...

...add some chocolate syrup...and there you go...

...Scout said that it tasted like 'smores....I think next time I'll use flax seed goo made from whole flaxseeds as it's perfectly clear - then we won't have the little brown flecks...but the overall verdict was that this 'ice cream' is very good...

9 comments:

  1. What a cute little gadget, just enough for two. That ice cream is very interesting. Years ago I made 'brown bread' ice cream and that was also good.

    My daughter and her partner are with us this weekend and I'm going to have a go at plum (from our tree) sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy! Did you ever have Oatscream? They don't make it anymore but it was a vegan ice cream make from oats, it was one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow looks delicious and how cute is that penguin???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is cool. I love your ice cream freezer! Peace, Angela (Peach Coglo)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! I know that ice cream maker! I think my neighbors had it. That penguin brought back some memories. Oatmeal ice cream...mmm, now that sounds interesting. I'd like to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the penguin ice cream maker... very cool. Ice cream which tastes like s'mores... I've got to make that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:09 PM

    Wow! I never would have thought oatmeal ice cream could be good. I will have to try making it.

    It kind of looks like vanilla bean ice cream with the brown specks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need an ice cream chiller! I've never heard of making vegan ice cream at home and now I'm so excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm! Scrumptious. We've been looking for an inexpensive ice cream maker that does most of the job by sitting in the freezer. Yours is very cute.

    ReplyDelete