Thursday, March 17, 2011

Vegan Doritos

...we still have a sick boy at home today - but definitely on the mend - his temp was 99.7 last night and we're hoping for a fever free day today so that he can go back to school tomorrow...I'll show you tomorrow what he's been working on in between bouts of lying on the sofa sipping clear liquids...

...anywhooo...Scout was always saying that the Nacho Cheese sauce I make tastes 'just like Doritos'...

...so I mixed up a batch and added about a cup of cornmeal to the mix - a little more to get the consistency I thought would be about right...

...I spread the mixture in the dehydrator - because I thought I could make chips there...but I was wrong - they weren't quite crispy enough - so I cut them into triangles with a pizza cutter and baked them until they were just coloured...

...they were a good nacho-y crispy cracker thingy - NOT Doritos as I remember them...but GOOD...I think Doritos must be fried...

...and I just did a quick search and the Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos are vegan...but I've never had them...have you?...

11 comments:

  1. I make a cheese sauce almost identical to yours, but I never thought to make it into chips. That is awesome and you can bet I will be whipping up a bunch. Thanks.
    Warmly,
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news on two counts!

    That last day at home from school - when you are feeling better but your mum thinks you should have an extra day - is so very sweet.

    Or so my children tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea.

    I hope he's 100% better soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your little guy is better soon! Yes, clever... I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so innovative with your recipes! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. get well wishes to your boy.....

    the chips look pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, hope he's all better by now! i've been way behind on my reading/posting.

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vegan doritos, I LOVE YOU!!!! So I make a nacho dip that is similar and Nature Boy always comments if he comes home the house smells so good if I've made it which always nakes me laugh. Anyhow, I will have to try this one someday. I've been eating the Salsa Limon flavor of Grande Tortilla Chips as my fake-doritos fix but they don't taste cheesey, more spicey. Hope your Scout is on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look great! We have had the vegan doritos and my son likes them, but my girls say they're too spicy. They're okay, but really junky, as doritos are I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I can't believe all that your create in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had the Sweet Chili Heat Doritos and they are incredibly good, probably my favorite chip!

    ReplyDelete