Wednesday, July 06, 2011

...it's alive...

...we got this buttercrunch lettuce at the grocery store...I've not seen it there before or since...

...but the label says...you know it's fresh because...it's alive...

...you can see the little root ball in the specially formed (recyclable) plastic package...

...so of course after we ate the lettuce...Scout wanted to plant it and see if it would grow...much like his watercress...

...our other little back porch lettuce garden is doing quite well too...

...I'll keep you posted on whether or not we can keep the lettuce 'alive'...

14 comments:

  1. I've bought lettuce like this at Costco, but haven't tried to plant it- "lettuce" know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen anything like it...how neat is that! I am going to have to see if I can find some here. We have grown romaine lettuce from 'cut' romaine hearts in a bag so your's should take. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That will be so cool if the lettuce continues to grow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should be interesting. Good for Scout for trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw some basil packaged like that but didn't buy it since I have my own growing but I'll bet your lettuce will live. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I love that you planted-after-eating. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Joanna
    Thanks Joanna,

    Funny! we will...I think it will be successful...so far so good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tracey
    Thanks Tracey,

    We're definitely going to try the cut Romaine lettuce idea now too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tara

    Thanks Tara...so far so good...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Elizabeth
    Hey Mom,

    I think it will work...if it doesn't get too hot and dry...

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I went to plant some veggie starts I found lettuce from last year growing. I thought I had lost them due to the crappy spring and cold summer we had but they started growing up new from whatever I had left. So it might work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:55 PM

    i saw some at the grocery store the other day - is it good?

    and yeah - i'm interested to know how it grows. :)

    bitsofsunshine.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete