Sunday, September 04, 2011

...Two Ten Milers...#2...

...I don't have any pictures of the chaos in the middle of the night...but a small storm cell blew through the campsite about 10:30...I was in my sleeping bag on my cot, but I wasn't yet asleep...but there was such a gust of wind that it took the Scoutmaster's rainfly right off his tent in the middle of a downpour and the same gust of wind ripped my front tent stakes out so my tent blew back into the cot...so of course I got up...I sort of did a spread eagle holding down the tent with my feet and arms until I could get it unzipped...then I stepped out into the pouring rain...that's when I saw the Scoutmaster struggling with his rainfly while all of his things were getting soaked...at least it wasn't pouring rain into my collapsed tent...so I helped him get his tent righted and he helped me with mine...then we both crawled back into our tents completely wet...I dried off and changed into dry clothes...and then in about 5 minutes the stars were out and the wind started blowing really hard...so about 2:30 I got up just to make sure that the tent stakes were holding...and slept off and on until daylight...fun times...

...the boys tents faired better and Scout said that he slept really well...funny...

...after a quick breakfast...we headed back out on the same hike backwards...this harvesting equipment was left in the field...this front half is harvested and the wheat is still standing behind the trucks...now...of course it's too wet for the farmers to get in the fields...

...just really pretty country...

...we lost one hiker at about mile 2...he climbed in the truck and said he didn't want to go on...we'll have to schedule a make up hike as several boys couldn't make this one anyway...

...there was a mixture of sun and clouds and it was still really windy...a few sprinkles too...

...lots of salamanders trying to stay warm on the road...before they crawl into the mud to hibernate...

...heading back out after a break at mile 5...

...then at mile 6 we lost another hiker who was lightheaded...our Scoutmaster is a Search and Rescue Paramedic and he thought it would be best if the scout rested...

...so we finished the hike with just three scouts...and we got to the highways just as it started to pour rain...

...all in all a successful weekend...we have one more 10 mile hike and then a 20 mile hike left to complete the Hiking Merit Badge...

...hoping you all have a lovely long weekend...we'll be spending the day off resting up...

4 comments:

  1. oh what fun...NOT! glad you enjoyed it though! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will all sound an absolute wheeze when you tell the story over coffee at a later date!!!

    The picture of you holding down your tent while you got the zip open - can't get it out of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa that is a lot of hiking. I don't think I would've made it through the tent/rain excitment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is what I call a rude awakening!

    Glad everything turned out okay :)

    ReplyDelete