Wednesday, August 22, 2012

...a spiffier range hood too...hopefully...


...remember the dated range hood from this picture...well there's really nothing wrong with it...except the 60s shaded brown colour...it's well made and works well...

...the Man even bought a new microwave range hood combo during the first couple of weeks he was here...before Scout and I came...but it didn't fit in the space...I'm sure that Big Box Hardware Store appreciates all of our buy and return tendencies...HA!...

...after reading several articles about painting appliances...I bought a TSP substitute (just to avoid putting any more phosphates into the waterways) to clean every speck of grease off of the range hood...and after the cabinets I was expecting it to be really really dirty...and it didn't disappoint at all...I probably spent well over an hour and a half cleaning a 3 foot square of metal...

...but when I was finally convinced that it was indeed clean enough for the paint to stick to it...I took all of the removable pieces off...and unscrewed the screws holding it up just enough to lower it enough to tape the cabinets around it...then I covered and taped everything up really really well...

...I wore a mask and opened all the windows...but kept the doors closed and again - like with the cabinets you want to minimize the dust as much as possible by dusting and vacuuming before you start painting...

...after all the prep work the painting just took a few minutes...but my index finger got surprisingly tired from holding that button down...HA!...

...spray paint may just be my new BFF...

~Have a lovely day!



4 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous. I painted mine too and it has held up for 5 years now. I am so glad I did it - everyone told me not too. And guess what? It was the same ugly 70s brown that yours was originally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you did this first. We've been pondering the same action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inventive, a splendid solution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cabinets and hood look like new. You know they make a little plastic gadget that lets you use a trigger to hold down that button. Works remarkably well. MOM

    ReplyDelete