Thursday, August 09, 2012

...Favorite Spaghetti...Veganized...and a Shirataki Noodle Review...


...this was the spaghetti that we usually had when I was growing up...Mom would make it with her home canned tomatoes...and it was often served with cornbread and coleslaw...which the Man thought was hilarious when we were dating...apparently he didn't think those things went together...and it's become somewhat of a family joke...of course we didn't think there was anything wrong with it at all...and I'm very nostalgic about this meal...

...the ingredients on the box:
Spice Mix (Dried Onion, Salt, Food Starch-Modified, Monosodium Glutamate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Sugar, Spice, Dried Garlic, Dried Celery, Artificial Color, Silicon Dioxide as an anti-caking agent)

...I didn't have dried celery...so I used fresh...and I thought it would be a good time to try the shirataki noodles...angel hair...

...the things I put in...and the things I left out:

Dried Onion - 2 T
Salt - 1/2 t
Food Starch-Modified - none
Monosodium Glutamate - none
Hydrolyzed Soy Protein - none here...but I did use TVP instead of hamburger
Sugar - 2 t
Spice - 1/2 t oregano - 1/2 t basil - 1/4 t marjoram
Dried Garlic - 1/2 t
Dried Celery - if I'd had any - I would probably have used 1/4 t...but as it was I used a few leaves...
Artificial Color - none
Silicon Dioxide as an anti-caking agent - none

...I just stirred that into some tomato sauce...

...added some TVP crumbles...that looks (and smells) just perfect...

...I prepared the noodles the same way I did the rice...Shirataki Rice Review...

...poured some sauce over the noodles...

...and I must say...that the sauce was spot on...but the noodles...well...the texture just wasn't right...I think I'll stick with regular angel hair from now on...and I think it's time I just gave up on the Shirataki...apparently I just don't like that texture...

...I'll show you tomorrow what I did with all the leftover sauce...

~Have a lovely day!

5 comments:

  1. I remember that box! Wow, I had forgotten all about eating Kraft spaghetti until now although we didn't eat it with cornbread and coleslaw either :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! yes, i, too, am nostalgic about that meal. and duane also thought it was a weird combination. something about the hot sauce up against the cool slaw. now i'm hungry! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. What we are given as children seems normal. However, I do love bread with pasta and tomato sauce, had some this evening, and salad. The creamy sauce of cole slaw must be delish with that meal.

    I have never had cornbread, is it easy to make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool.I love veganizing nostalgic meals!

    ReplyDelete