Friday, November 02, 2012

...Vegan Coconut Macaroons...

...the final Vegan Mofo posts are up over at The Vegan Version...Poires au Gratin...which you may think is cheese...but it's not...it's pulverized macaroons...

well...vegan macaroons are pretty hard to come by...
...in MtAoFC...Macaroons are listed as ingredients of several recipes...but unlike the lady fingers, Julia never actually gives a recipe for them...
...so I looked in my trusty Joy of Cooking...and found a recipe...hmmmmnnn...egg whites...
...Mom's old Better Homes cookbook also has a recipe...and it also has egg whites...
...so...of course...I'm going to make up my own recipe...and I gathered my usual cookie ingredients...including my flax seed goo...as the cookies seem rather simple...
...I had a couple of failed attempts too...obviously just subbing flax seed goo for the egg whites is not going to work...
...so I mixed up a little batter with just flour and almond milk to help hold things together a little bit...although going into the oven they still looked a bit runny...
...they came out perfectly...

...I also tried piping them to make them pretty...but that didn't work well with this recipe at all...but the teaspoonful dropped and flattened slightly turned out perfectly...I may try making a thicker batter that can be piped later...but these worked perfectly for the Pulverized Macaroons that I needed for the Poires Au Gratin...

Vegan Coconut Macaroons

2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sweetener - I used Agave Nectar...but next time I'll probably just use sugar...
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt


Mix all ingredients together...it will be slightly runny...and drop by spoonfuls onto a parchment lined baking tray...

...bake at 350° F until the edges are lightly browned...

1 comment:

  1. yum! love macaroons! so simple and good! love, k

    ReplyDelete