Thursday, February 07, 2013

...a little blue baby blanket...

...I needed to make a baby blanket for a sweet little boy...

...and I thought that I would just make a receiving blanket sized piece of fleece and add a sheer binding about 4 inches wide...

...so I bought a square of fleece...so I actually have enough to make two little blankies as it was folded when it was measured...
...then I got some sheer fabric...and cut a wide strip...
...and ironed under a 1/2 inch seam...on each side...
...and then I folded that in half and ironed it again...
...so that a had a nice long strip like blanket binding...
...with the seam allowance pressed in place...
...then I pinned it to the fleece...so that the seam allowance just met the outer edge of the fleece...
...and sewed around it...and then guess what...

...I didn't like it as much as I had thought I would...the sheer border was just TOO BIG for the sweet little blanket...and I thought it looked kinda weird...

...but I didn't want to undo it all and start again...
...so I just folded the 4 inch border back over onto itself...
...and stitched around the blanket again...
...when I got to the corners...I just sort of gathered them up...since this is now sort of a poofy sheer border...
...and I'm ever so much happier with it now...
...the 2 inch border is much more the right scale for this little blue blankie...
...I guess that's all part of the creative process...and I may still make another one with the leftover fleece with just a 2 inch sheer border and see how I like that...I can always change my mind and add another layer...or maybe I'll choose a cute boyish print for the next fleece...or maybe add some pink/blue floral for a little girl blankie...or maybe add the print and then top it with the sheer...that would be pretty wouldn't it?...

...do you go through all the different possibilities before you decide...or do you always just 'know' what you want to make?...

~Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

  1. awww how sweet! wonder if this will end up being that boy's "blankie" with that silky edge?

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet and useful gift.

    As for knowing what I want when I set out to make something - I think I know, but so often it ends up different. This is because what is in my mind doesn't always look right in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a lovely blanket and that little boy will be kept warm with both blanket and the prayers you put into it.

    ReplyDelete