Saturday, February 23, 2013

...Bathroom update...setting the tile...

...well...the day had finally arrived for setting the beautiful quartz tile...
...we begin by sort of roughly laying out all the tiles...
...and we needed to trim off the bottom of the door jamb so that the tile would be able to slide underneath...we just used our box saw...but they make a special little offset saw for this purpose...but we don't have one...
...we just popped the extra little piece of wood out...
...and then the tile can slide right under...
...when I started placing the spacers...I noticed that one of our prettiest tiles was not square...so I'm not going to use him in the center of the floor...he'll have to go over to the edge so that his crooked side can be covered up with the baseboard...
...when I got to the toilet ring...I had to pack up and go to the tile store to have the stones cut before I could continue placing the tile...
...so this floor involved only two trips to the tile store...once for the tiles around the toilet and again for the ones along the side walls...we decided not to start in the center (as recommended)...we would have in a larger room...but this room is so small that we didn't want to have small cut tiles on both side walls...now everything is layed out...
...and now it's all set in mortar...I realize there's very little difference in the two pictures...but there is a lot of work in between...

Do you have a big project planned for the weekend?

~Have a lovely day!

6 comments:

  1. I went to a piano recital at the local art gallery. I like classical music but not massively. I was more interested in the Russian pianist, Yulia, who was cross eyed. I felt quite shallow, but there you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so brave and talented to do these renos yourself. I have a bathroom to do too but I don't think I can tackle it myself. I wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that tile is really nice!

    we went and picked up ben's truck from where it had frozen one day last week (it got so cold that his diesel gelled up . . .) thank the good Lord, it started right up and he could drive it home - no harm done.

    i finished writing a marriage counseling curriculum - ben and i have done some pre-marriage counseling - but always for friends . . . we are starting sessions for some paying customers this evening! - so i thought i should have a curriculum written up.

    we had a birthday party for my mom.

    i put the rest of our winter decorations away and maddie and i organized our chirstmas decoration boxes.

    so lots of little things got done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tiles with the wall color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just lovely, as i expected, of course!! love, k

    ReplyDelete