Friday, January 10, 2014

...vegan ham...

...I made Tracy's vegan ham again...

...I've made it before and I've got a copy of the recipe in my binder...but sadly Tracy's blog (and its recipes) no longer exists...
...this time I didn't put the loaf in the juice can baker that I made...('cause I've not seen it since the move to W.V.)...
...I just shaped it into a loaf and put it in a stainless steel bowl to bake...it has to bake for a long time...
...I may just like this shape better anyway...
...it certainly slices perfectly this way...
...so delicious...
...served with the simple butternut squash...

~Have a lovely day!

...I thought y'all might like Tracy's recipe...

Tracy's Vegan Ham/Vegan Bologna

Mix in a Bowl:
1 1/2 cups gluten flour,
1/3 cup soy flour.

Set aside.

In a blender, mix the following:

150 g Silken Tofu (about 5 ounces)
1-cup water
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp black pepper
1 ¼ tsp garlic salt
1 ¼ tsp onion powder
¾ tsp liquid smoke
½ MSG (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vegetable bouillon
1 ½ tsp paprika
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup

Blend until smooth. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and mix well. Add extra gluten flour as needed, to knead into a dry ball. Let sit 1 hour. Knead again into a firm, smooth ball.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large juice can with foil and/or parchment paper. Place gluten ball in the can and press down firmly into the can.

Mix together and pour over the gluten:
1-cup water
½ tsp liquid smoke
1 Tbsp vegetable bouillon
1 Tbsp tomato juice
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp onion powder
Cover can with foil and place can in oven. Lower temperature to 250 degrees and let bake three and a half hours. Remove from can and cool on wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. It slices beautifully, bet it makes great sandwiches.

    I think of the ham sandwiches made at the table by Anne and Joan in 'Onions in the Stew'. Normally forbidden by Betty but encouraged this time as a family disagreement was brewing.

    ReplyDelete