Tuesday, October 14, 2014

..Bookclub Sushi Party...

...Book Club was chez Affectioknit last night...

...and we had a SUSHI PARTY...we had read the second in the Brilliants trilogy by Sakey...A Better World...not really my favorite book...and a real cliffhanger at the end...I guess you'd expect that from the middle book of a trilogy though...and I'm fairly certain that someone will choose the third book when it comes out as well...

...my choice for next month's book will be Gap Creek the story of a marriage by Robert Morgan...I had bought the book for my sister a couple of years ago but had not read it myself...and it looks like my kind of book...just a book about people and their lives...this one is set in the mountains of North Carolina quite near to where I grew up...
...so...anywhooo...I got out my new sushi implements...and set up two rolling stations...one with the mat bare for sushi with nori...and the other with the mat wrapped in cellophane for rolling sushi with the rice on the outside...
....over in this corner...I put the miso soup tureen...and some chips and crackers with Tofutti cream cheese coated with a jar of pepper jelly made by a dear friend...it was delicious!
...then on the buffet...all of the sauces...teriyaki, soy, wasabi, and pickled ginger...
...the fixin's...vegan lobster...grilled marinated tofu...the large tray has an assortment of raw veggies...you can see the avocado hasn't been cut yet...and the other plate has some of the same veggies cooked...as some of our bookclubbers don't like their veggies raw...
...everyone got busy making rolls as they arrived...
...and I was happy that the ones without the nori wrapper really did hold together...
...pretty impressive for a first attempt...no one in our group had ever made sushi before...
...my first attempt...
...just a plain avocado roll...
...it worked...all rolled up...
...my plate...it sure was delicious!...and pretty too!...
...and I've got lots of leftovers for lunch!

...Have you ever made sushi?...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. yep, after Robert trained me, i make it frequently. i didn't realize until the end that your guests were going to make their own! cool meeting treat!

    i suspect your book club will have positive reviews of the book, but it's a painful one at times!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting activity, making sushi! I have never done it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have never made sushi, but I may have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have never made or eaten sushi - one day i will! i love veggies - so i think i would like it!

    ReplyDelete