Thursday, October 23, 2014

...Vegan Hickory Nut Tea...

...with all this chilly rainy weather we've been having I was looking for a nice warm drink...

...and I saw this over at A Joyful Chaos...

...and thought it sounded yummy!...

...she says...

"Personally I think it's better than hot chocolate, but maybe that's only because it takes more effort and it was a once a year treat."

...not sure I'll make it more than once a year...but it sure was fun to make it this time...
...first of all...I didn't have any hickory nuts...but a quick internet search told me that pecans are a type of hickory...I did not know that...

The pecan (/pɪˈkɑːn/, /pɪˈkæn/, /ˈpiːkæn/, or /ˈpiːkɑːn/; Carya illinoinensis) is a species of hickory native to Mexico and south central and southeastern United States.[1][2]...wikipedia
...so I toasted some pecans...
...and chopped them up...
...put them in a pot with a cup of water...
...and simmered...
...until reduced by half...
...then I strained it through my reusable coffee filter...
...it was s deep rich caramel colour...
...put it back in the pot...
...added some brown sugar...
...and some unsweetened sunflower milk...it worked well in this recipe...
...poured it into a cute frosty mug...
...and took a sip...it was really so...so good...nutty and rich and deep...really so good...and different...we loved it!

Vegan Hickory Nut Tea

1/2 cup finely chopped hickory nuts (toasted)
1 cup water

Simmer until water has been reduced to about 1/2 cup and it has a nice golden brown color.

Add:

2-3 cups vegan milk - I used unsweetened sunflower milk
Brown sugar to desired sweetness

Heat until hot, but not simmering.

Serve.

~Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. you come up with the most interesting stuff!!! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very different - understatement alert!

    ReplyDelete