Friday, September 25, 2015

...easy...make your own almond milk...

...I don't think I've ever posted about it here before...but about once a week I make a quart of almond milk...

...I love it...it's simple to make...has 4 ingredients...and is so creamy you can use it for creamer in your tea or coffee...
...I start with a pot of boiling water and a cup of almonds...straight from the freezer...I don't soak them or anything...

...I keep them in the freezer to keep them fresh...because we get them from the 'Nut Man' who comes around selling nuts from his truck every fall...so I try to get enough to last all year...
...once the water has boiled...I just dump the cup of nuts into the pot and take it off the heat and let it set for about 10 minutes or so...
...then I scoop the nuts into a bowl of cool water...
...and slip the skins off...don't go thinking that this is a time consuming step because it only takes a couple of minutes...and then your milk will be pure white...

...that being said...feel free to leave out that step and just blend the nuts with their skins on...your milk will be not quite white...but still delicious...in fact if you're not going to slip the skins off...you don't even have to put the almonds in the hot water...

...I'll show you tomorrow what I do with the pure white pulp that's left behind...
...then just put the nuts into the blender...
...add 4 cups of water...a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar...or sweetener of your choice...sometimes I use dates...but again that will colour your milk a little bit...
...turn the blender on slowly...
...then blend on high speed for a couple of minutes...
...then pour through a few layers of cheese cloth...or a jelly strainer...or a nut bag...
...here I gather up the corners and twist and give it a good squeeze...
...but sometimes I'm lazy and just tie it to a cabinet knob and let it drip...
...either way...then I pour it into a clean jug...
...this recipe makes a quart of delicious almond milk...and that lasts me almost exactly a week...

Easy 4 Ingredient Almond Milk

Place one cup of nuts into a pot of boiling water and take it off the heat and let it set for about 10 minutes.
Scoop the nuts into a bowl of cool water.
(Optional) Slip the skins off simply by pinching the end of the nut...the nut will pop out leaving the skin between your fingers...it's really easy.
Place the nuts into the blender.
Add 4 cups of water.
1/8 tsp of salt.
1 tsp of sugar...or sweetener of your choice.
Turn the blender on slowly.
Blend on high speed for a couple of minutes.
Pour through a few layers of cheese cloth...or a jelly strainer...or a nut bag.
Twist and squeeze until you have all the milk and are left with a slightly moist pulp.

Yield 1 quart.

~Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. Now, that is quite a process, but certainly productive. The cream cheese is a great idea, too. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious, sadly I'm allergic to almonds!

    ReplyDelete