Friday, October 02, 2015

..Mom's Spaghetti Squash...

...when we were visiting family over Labor Day weekend...mom gave me a spaghetti squash from her garden...
...and since it had been languishing in our veggie drawer for a while...we thought it was high time it got used...
...so we split it open with a big knife...it (like a lot of fall squash) has a pretty tough skin...
...scooped out the seeds...and roasted those right along with the squash...see how we do that here...
...place the halves face down on a lightly oiled pan...
...and back for an hour or so...until the flesh is tender...
...they'll be slightly browned around the edges...but it's this caramelization that makes roasted food so good...
...then just scoop out the flesh...funny word for a veg...now if I'd wanted this for spaghetti noodles...I'd have sort of flaked the squash out with a fork into little strands...but I didn't so I just scooped it out with a spoon...
...then Mom also had another surprise for me...she'd been keeping this Vegan Pepperoni in her freezer since a previous visit...so she gave it to me to bring home...
...so I chopped some of that up and sauteed it with a bit of olive oil...
...added the squash and sauteed a bit more...
...poured on some prepared spaghetti sauce...
...spread it out...
...topped with some daiya mozzarella...
...and baked until heated through and the cheese was melty...
...it was delicious...
...spaghetti squash pizza...

~Wishing you a lovely weekend...

2 comments:

  1. Tomatoes and cheese - marriage made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello from utah! I have an identical squash from mom I'll need to use soon. Sorry, haven't had good internet for most of the week we spent on lake powell. Love, k

    ReplyDelete