Friday, January 29, 2016

...a story of a mug...

...mugs and cups are very intriguing to me...

...what makes one person prefer one mug over another...it's so individual...the shape of the mug...the weight...the way it feels when you cup your hands around a warm mug of tea (or coffee...or teecino...or chai...whatever the drink is doesn't really matter - it's the mug that matters)...

...some people prefer dainty little cups...and others hefty hand thrown pottery ones...

...you've seen the mug that I got on my honeymoon...and although it's tapered shape is not my favorite...it's sentimental value makes it one of my favorites anyway...so there's that element too...

...so...on to the story of this new (old) mug...
...my Mom had a set of these mugs...way back when I was a teenager...given to her by my baby brother...

...only one of hers still survives...

...and she has offered to let me 'take' it many a time...but I have always refused...because that is the mug that I drink my tea in...when I'm at 'home'...
...so...my boys found one in an antique shop here...and wrapped it up and put it in my stocking at Christmas...
...and now I have a a new favorite mug at my home too...

...so...tell me about your favorite mug...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I'd missed a few postings...yummy foods and sweet story about the mugs....my current fave is a great big one I found at the Habitat Re-store for a quarter Its big but very light....plus my big "sisters" one, of course! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have favourite mugs. The glass one you have is nice. I like that kind too but don't have any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mug is a traditional beer glass either half an imperial pint of a whole pint. There is much tradition attached to the mugs used for drinking beer in pubs. The 'public' bar where working men went used straight sided mugs while in the 'saloon' bar where the more middle class men went used beer mugs as you have there. Much scorn was directed by the straight sided glass users to the other group. very amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you saw my pic of my favorite at-school mug. because i like how it feels in my hand, and because it has a lid to keep my coffee warm. :)

    i have some other favorites at home. sometimes it depends on the day . . .

    but i always love a mug of coffee, no matter what the mug looks or feels like!

    ReplyDelete