Friday, January 15, 2016

...Cashew Milk/Cream...

...I've mentioned my Cashew Cream on the blog before...but apparently never told you how I make it...

...it is incredibly quick and easy...
...three simple ingredients...four if you count the water...
...I just measure out a cup of nuts...I keep my nuts in the freezer...in an antique jar we got from the Man's great aunt...
...add a pinch of sea salt...just what you grasp between your thumb and index finger...
...followed by a larger pinch of sugar...what I grab with my thumb and first three fingers...maybe a half teaspoon...and you could totally leave it out if you wanted...
...put that scoop of nuts and salt and sugar into the blender...
...followed by 4 cups of water...
...turn it on low...
...ramp up the speed...
...blend on high for about 2 minutes...
...and pour into a scrupulously clean jar...
...it keeps in the fridge for about a week...but it never lasts that long around here...

Cashew Cream

Ingredients:
1/8 tsp kosher/sea salt
1/2 tsp vegan sugar
1 cup raw cashews - Organic Raw Cashews from Nuts.com...also check out their Healthy Snacks
4 cups water

Place all ingredients into blender and blend on high for 2 minutes.

~Have a lovely day!

6 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try this for some time. I've already tried making brown rice milk but want something creamier. I'd like to try almond too. But I need to find a good source here for nuts and so far I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a question, I did remember after posting my last comment that there is a local supplier of cashew and other nuts locally. The organize cashews are $7 a pound more than yours but we all know the Canadian dollar is worth 30 cents less than yours right now. I'm wondering how long a pound of organic nuts lasts you for milk purposes. Or do you just use it now and then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny,

      I actually use about a little more than a quart a week...this recipe makes about 5 cups...and lasts about 6 days here...I just measured the cup of nuts that I use to make 5 cups of cream...and it weighs 5 oz...so that being one ounce of nuts per cup of cream...you'd get 16 cups or 4 quarts (1 US gallon) from a pound...I think it works out being a bargain as it would cost US $3.79 per quart ($15.16 per gallon) to buy Silk Creamer at the grocery store...and that is mostly how I use this cream...

      I hope that helps...

      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Sorry I didn't realize I had Jonah's blog account open). Thank you Teresa, that is helpful. It would cost me more per quart, gallon or liter but as long as it isn't outrageously more I would consider doing this. I wouldn't want to pay for shipping (even local shipping) as that really sends the already high cost upwards. I do want to make this cream (and almond milk too). Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is simpler than i thought!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete