Thursday, January 07, 2016

...Class Ring...

...Scout is back at school after the holidays...and at Scout's school the Class Rings are in...

...oh I remember the day we got our Class Rings...everyone going around showing their ring to all their friends...
...this is my Class Ring...I chose a pretty 'dinner ring' setting with a Ruby for my Birthstone...
...and this is the Man's...which I mostly wore...wrapped with yarn so it would stay on my finger...I guess that served as proof to everyone that we were 'going together'...but sometimes I wore it on a chain around my neck...the funny kind of beaded chain that used to hold the bathtub stopper...like this one if you don't know what I'm talking about...and I suppose that was because the ring was too heavy for a regular jewelry type chain...

...it was fun to drag the rings out and try them on (mine still fits...but the Man's does not)...and we had not had our rings out for YEARS...seriously...after High School how many of us continued to wear our Class Rings?...and when we graduated from University we didn't even bother to buy one...because we knew we'd probably never wear it...

...and of course that did not stop us from buying a Class Ring for Scout...it is a right of passage of sorts...

...Scout's June Birthstone is Alexandrite...Wikipedia has this to say about this colour changing stone...

The alexandrite variety displays a color change (alexandrite effect) dependent upon the nature of ambient lighting. Alexandrite effect is the phenomenon of an observed color change from greenish to reddish with a change in source illumination. Alexandrite results from small scale replacement of aluminium by chromium ions in the crystal structure, which causes intense absorption of light over a narrow range of wavelengths in the yellow region (580 nm) of the visible light spectrum. Because human vision is more sensitive to light in the green spectrum and the red spectrum, alexandrite appears greenish in daylight where a full spectrum of visible light is present and reddish in incandescent light which emits less green and blue spectrum.[6] This color change is independent of any change of hue with viewing direction through the crystal that would arise from pleochroism.

...so...without further ado...this is Scout's Class Ring...one side is engraved with his old high school in WV...and a neat marching band emblem...and the other side has the year and his current high school...I thought it was neat that he included both schools in his design...

...do you have (or still have) your High School Class Ring?...do you still wear it?

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. beautiful ring - i'd never heard of that stone.

    my class ring is in an old jewelry box. i can still wear it but i need a little 'lubrication' to get it off. it would not be comfortable to wear daily. not that i'd want to....

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember having a class ring. Maybe we did but way back then I wasn't into rings. It's funny now because I now own 6! That is a lot for me. I only wear one on a regular basis. I like both your stone and Scouts. I hope he gets good use out of his.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as I know it isn't something we do here in the UK. When we saw it on American TV or films and then in songs 'She wears my ring' kind of lines we all thought it was either an engagement or wedding ring! I wonder what the origin is.

    ReplyDelete