Saturday, January 02, 2016

...Vegan Everything Bagels...

I had been wanting to try making bagels for quite a while...and I'm so glad I did...

...I guess I thought bagels were difficult to make...but they're really not...
...just like with most breads...start with some yeast and warm water...
...add some flour...and salt...
...mix and knead...
...until you have an nice elastic ball of dough...
...let it rise...until doubled...about an hour...

...I let my bread rise in the oven with the light on...it's warm and draft free...
...divide dough into six equal portions...
...form each section into a rope...
...then form the rope into a circle and pinch the ends together really well...you don't want your bagel to come apart...and leave the hole a little bit bigger than you think so that as it rises again it won't close up...
...put the newly formed bagels on a baking sheet...and put them in a warm place to rise again...about another 30 minutes or so...
...when they've risen...lift them gently off the sheet...
...and plop them into a gently simmering pot of water...a big one...
...and don't crowd them...I only put 3 bagels in my big pot...
...flip them over so that they cook evenly...
...then take them out and put them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the everything toppings...while they're still sort of wet and sticky...poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and dried minced garlic and onion...
...bake until crsipy and golden...
...then slice...we have a special 'bagel knife'...
...the inside has the perfect dense and chewy texture...
...toast it up...
...perfect!...
...slather on some vegan cream cheese...and ENJOY!...

...Have you ever made bagels?...

~Have a lovely day!

Vegan Everything Bagels

1 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
3 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegan granulated sugar
Sesame Seeds, Poppy Seeds, Minced Dehydrated Onion and Garlic

Directions

1. Add warm water to a small bowl. Sprinkle on the package active dry yeast; allow to proof for 5 minutes. Stir and allow to proof for an additional 3 minutes.
2. In a bowl, mix together flour and salt. Mix in yeast-water mixture and lightly knead in the bowl. Cover and place in a warm place and allow dough to rise, about 1 hour.
3. Cut into six equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 1" thick, wet ends and stick together. Transfer to a cookie sheet, cover, and let rest for 30 minutes in a warm place. Preheat oven to 450° F.
4. Fill a large pot with water. Place vegan sugar in this water and bring to a boil...then turn down heat until just lightly simmering. Add bagels for 1 minute, turn them as they boil and cook on the other side for 1 minute. Drain.
5. Return dough to the greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dehydrated onion and garlic.
6. Bake until golden and hollow sounding when thumped...

10 comments:

  1. No, I always thought bagels were complicated. Might give it a try.

    Also, we have had the first episode of the new BBC adaptation of War and Peace - We enjoyed the first episode, with you on the 18th January. Tricky though, my beloved kept asking - now, who's she/he. Because I read it 40 years ago he seems to think I can remember the characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for War and Peace!...I adore Tolstoy and that was one of my favorite books of all time...I do still remember quite a few of the characters and I'm looking forward to refreshing my memory soon...

      ~Affectioknit-ly,

      Teresa

      Delete
  2. I think I should try to make some bagels, because I do like them. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used to make bagels . . . i haven't since we've been gluten-free . . . maybe i should try again!

    also, what makes sugar vegan or not? just curious!
    i keep being curious about vegan eating, as we have some dear friends who are eating vegan, and as i can't have dairy, i eat more and more like a vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were so Yummy!...I'll definitely be making them again...I love everything bagels...regular white cane sugar is processed with bone charcoal...but beet sugar is vegan...and so is turbinado sugar...and piloncillo...

      ~Affectioknit-ly,

      Teresa

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh these look amazing! I need to add these to 'more adventurous cooking to do 2016' list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo the question about what is vegan sugar. Is there such a thing as not vegan sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula,

      ...regular white cane sugar is processed with bone charcoal...but beet sugar is vegan...and so is turbinado sugar...and piloncillo...

      ~Affectioknit-ly,

      Teresa

      Delete
  6. finally can see this.....those look absolutely yummy!!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete