Wednesday, January 20, 2016

...W.I.P. Wednesday...Darn-it...

...so...I got out my darning egg...because we had some hole-y socks...
...and our sweet Jack-Jack must have thought it looked like a ball...
...because he immediately went and got his...
...and brought it for me to play...so I threw his ball around for a few minutes...
...but then he was content to just play with himself...
...I've often wondered if he plays by himself when we're not here...
...I kinda think not...as he seems to enjoy the audience too much for that...

...anywhoo...onto the work at hand...

...a quick search of the ole blog tells me that I made these socks in March and April of 2007...WOW!...really...

...I generally try to save a bit of yarn from every precious pair of handknit socks...because you know this is going to happen sooner or later...and it's just nice to be able to use the exact same yarn...I have a little Rubbermaid bin...the kind that we pack for Operation Christmas Child...with just tiny little balls of sock yarn from all of the socks I've knit...

...but for some reason...I couldn't find the exact yarn...maybe I used it all up...as I made Scout a pair of socks just like these from the same yarn...mine had k2-p2 ribbing and his had k1-p1 ribbing...in February of the same year...

...so acutally I made his first...blogs are just wonderful for things like that...

...I digress...but I was wondering where his socks like these are...as they most certainly wouldn't fit his size 11 feet now...maybe we put them away with some things he wanted to keep...
...I generally do a type of duplicate stitch darning...I guess it's really a sort of Swiss Darning...but when the stitches are actually still there...just almost worn through...it's easiest to just do a duplicate stitch over them...
...going back and forth horizontally produces the best sort of patch...
...and there you have it...a nice flat patch...and hopefully I'll get a few more years of wear out of these socks...
~Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

  1. You did a great job of the darning. I'd never heard of or seen a darning egg before. That's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The egg is new to me as well, I have seen darning mushrooms. They unscrew and the needles and some wool can be kept in there. They were given as part of the armed forces kit during the war, I imagine those lads whose mothers had cosseted them wearing socks with big lumpy darns - I bet they learned to do a better job quickly enough,

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's sure a neat repair! love that jack-jack brought his ball to you!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete