Saturday, March 05, 2016

...Natural Vegan Pecan Creamer...

...I was visiting with a dear friend from university this morning...so...we go back a long way...a really long way...and one of the best things about living here is that I get to see her more than once a year...

...anywhoo...we were having coffee...of course...and I had my beloved cashew creamertoo...but I also wanted to offer Amy something a little bit different...and I had seen a creamer (non-vegan but labeled non-dairy) called Southern Pecan in the grocery store...so I thought I'd make a natural pecan creamer...
...and I had this big bag of pecans that one of our sweet parishioners had given me...she has several pecan trees in her yard...and they have quite the apparatus for shelling them down in their basement...

...and a big bag of already-shelled fresh local pecans is such a welcome gift...and they are so delicious...nuts fresh from the tree...so much better than any I've ever had from a bag...
...and so...I digress again...I soaked the nuts last night...
...not being exactly sure how 'creamy' pecans are...I decided to use a little bit less water than I do with my cashews...and I put one cup of soaked pecans and 3 cups of water in the vitamix...
...just blended it for a couple of minutes...
...and then I strained it through my jelly cloth...this step is not necessary with super creamy cashews...but you get the bonus of having pecan meal to add to your next batch of cookies...
...I sweetened my coffee with Piloncillo and then poured in the pecan creamer...
...I absolutely loved this dessert in a cup flavored coffee...it was warm and sweet and creamy and nutty...and tasted like I had stirred butter pecan ice cream into my coffee...so delicious...

...so properly caffeinated Amy and I headed out for a day of antiquing...

...how often do you see your friends from university?...and what special things do you do together?

~Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, now that's a good question. Over the last decade I see my university friends less and less and now almost never. Some have died (sadly), some have moved, etc. I miss them. We used to go on walks, get together for brunch, visit over coffee, go to movies. That kind of thing. I still do most of the above with new friends. The pecans were such a nice gift and how lovely that your congregants have a sheller. Much better and easier than doing by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that pecan creamer looks wonderful - loved that analogy to butter pecan flavor! and i've completely lost tract of my college friends. i suspect they've married and i would have no way at this point of finding them. but, no real connection now so i would never bother!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interested in your nut creamers. On a food programme here they looked at commercial nut 'milks'. One almond milk had only 2% almonds in it the rest was 'stuff'. What a cheek.

    ReplyDelete