Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Tuesdays with Julia...

...although I don't get to count this as another recipe ticked off the list...it still fits the Tuesday's with Julia theme...

...as we had VEGAN QUICHE LORRAINE...for dinner last night...in honor of Pi(e) Day...I thought about Pizza (Pie)...and I was all like pizza/quiche??...pizza/quiche??..which should I make??...

...Julia says this cream and bacon quiche doesn't have any cheese...which makes it different from most quiches...
...the quiche recipe has a link to an omelette recipe for the vegan egg base of the quiche...but I didn't have any silken tofu in the house (shame on me) and I also didn't have any chickpea flour (besan)...so I was kind of improvising the eggy part of the quiche...oh...and I also didn't have any of the fancy vegan bacon strips...but I did have some of my TVP bacon bits...so I used that instead...
...I really don't remember the 2011 Quiche Lorraine...my notes say that it was really good...so I'm assuming that it was...most of Julia's recipes are 'really good'...

...so this one was really, really good...it was nice and fluffy...and creamy and good...

Vegan Quiche Lorraine (new filling recipe)

1 regular package of firm tofu - it's what I had to hand...
2 Tbls cashew cream
2 Tbls nutritional yeast
2 Tbls flour - I used self rising for a little bit of extra pouf...
1/4 tsp miso - I used white...but it probably doesn't matter
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Braggs aminos - or soy sauce
1/4 tsp Kala Namak (black salt) for the eggy flavor...you can just regular salt if you don't have any...

1/4 cup Vegan Bacon Bits

Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth...then stir in Bacon Bits...pour into a prepared pie crust (super quick and easy recipe here) and bake for about 1 hour at 350° F...until puffed and golden...

...and now we're off to VOTE!

~Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. I do love a quiche and this looks good.

    It's good to vote. So many people here have decided voting doesn't make any difference which is so sad. My Grandmother was not a suffragette but was a great believer in women's rights and was very active in the Labour Party. She would be saddened at today's attitude.

    ReplyDelete