Saturday, April 09, 2016

...Cleaning Between the Stove Glass...

...we've been doing some spring cleaning...
...and I've been hiding a nasty little secret with this towel for almost a year...well...not specifically this towel...the towel varies...
...but it's covering up a spill that happened before we moved here and was trapped between the panes of glass in the oven door...I know...I know...I should have gotten to it before now...but out of sight out of mind...you know...
...and I have scrubbed the glass...
...on both sides...but was (of course) unable to clean the inside of the glass...
...but I thought...there has to be a way...
...so I set about inspecting the door for a way to take it apart...the screws are this special star shaped bit on this stove...
...but I just unscrewed the top two screws...and sure enough...the door came apart...
...eeeuuuwww...
...I brought in a dining room chair to support the front glass as they sort of spring apart when you release the screws...
...then I just sprayed everything down with a degreaser/cleaner...
...and scrubbed it with one of those scrubby/spongey things...
...and a toothbrush for the hard to reach bits...
...then I washed the glass with some window cleaner and paper towel...
...and screwed the door back together...and now you can see right through the door into the oven...and Jack's reflection...

...I'll probably still hang a towel there...it's a handy place for one...but at least I don't have to make sure it's covering anything up...and I like it a lot better now that it's clean...

...how's your spring cleaning going?...

~Have a lovely day!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Spring cleaning hit a brick wall when I came down with the third bout of bronchitis of the new year. I'm so far behind with everything but I can't do much about it so I'll just have to go with the flow. I wouldn't be brave enough to take my oven door apart but now that I've seen you do it I will have to give that a try. I detest a dirty oven. I spent 4.5 hours using the self cleaning feature. It takes long and stinks but if you use your own cleansers you damage the self cleaning mechanisms (I've been told). The oven cleaning feature does little to clean the glass so I used a magic eraser on it. It helped a lot but not completely.

    Also, after only one post-cleaning, I see a big patch of brown stuff at the bottom of my oven. The stove looks nice when clean. The problem is trying to keep it clean *sigh but a clean oven window would help. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a makeshift extension where our washer and dryer live. A haven of mould, cold and drips from the ceiling we have decided to bite the bullet and have an extension built and they start tomorrow. Today we move everything out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job with the oven door by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good idea. I will try that too. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good idea. I will try that too. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fantastic! Recently I was talking with my hubby about some spills in between the panes of glass in our oven door. I thought about trying to take the door apart, but lacked the courage to risk not being able to get it all back together. You've inspired me to give it a try this next week. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is too cool!! i would have never thought to do that!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete