Friday, April 08, 2016

...from the Mexican Tienda...and some wild edibles too...

...we found this lot of tomatillos at the Mexican Tienda...so...I was doing a little bit of research as I thought that they were 'tomatoes'...but they're really related to the gooseberry...so that was surprising...
...tomatillos are also sometimes called 'husk tomatoes'...
...even though they are not really tomatoes...I decided to fry some up...just like green tomatoes... ...just dredged in some cornmeal...
...and fried in some safflower oil...
...then I remembered how the Man used to make a mayonnaise sauce to go with fried green tomatoes way back when we lived in Balsam Grove...

...and I'd been seeing the wild onion grass springing up everywhere here...and thought that some of the garlicky chive-like stems would go well with the mayonnaise for the fried tomatillos...
...so I just stepped off the porch...and pulled some up and washed them off...
...then snipped them with scissors like chives...and mixed with some nayonnaise and Dijon...
...and we had our 'fried green tomatillos' on small plates...as tapas...
...so very delicious...

...have you ever had tomatillos?...

~Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. I've not seen them, nor have I eaten green tomatoes other than in chutney. It looks delicious and I love the chivey plants growing just a step away.

    ReplyDelete