Tuesday, June 14, 2016

...Jackfruit BBQ...

...I know y'all have been wondering what was in my BBQ bun at Scout's Graduation Party...
...Jackfruit BBQ of course...
...I'd seen it posted about on lots of vegan blogs...and wanted to give it a try...
...I gathered the spices that The Minimalist Baker used...

(1 Tbsp Piloncillo (or Brown sugar) + 1/2 tsp paprika + 1/4 tsp garlic powder + 1/4 tsp salt + 1/8 tsp pepper + 1/4 tsp chili powder)...

...but adjusted them to my own taste...not that big of a fan of either garlic powder or black pepper...
...then I opened the can of Jackfruit in Brine...hhhmmmmnnnn....
...drained and rinsed the brine off...
...trimmed the thistle-y center piece off...
...and then sort of separated out the stringy part...
...stirred in the spices...
...heated some oil...
...and fried it a bit...
...separating the stringy bits a little more with two forks...
...it looks really meaty...
...unsure about the protein content...I added some crumbled tofu...
...then a dose of vegan bbq sauce...
...and that was all there was to it...

...it was a lot easier than I thought...and it was delicious...

~Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. I've discovered The Minimalist Baker, excellent site. Completely ignorant about jackfruit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i really didn't understand what you were talking about....but now i understand where the texture came from. i agree, it was fabulous! just right for those of us who can't do the pork thing! love, k

    ReplyDelete