Monday, November 21, 2016

...Make your own Tessellating Goldfish Cookie Cutter...

...I wanted to make some VEGAN GALLETTES AU FROMAGE from MtAoFC for this week's Tuesdays with Julia session...

...and I wanted to make them in the shape of little goldfish...of course...because they're cheese crackers...and everyone knows those should be goldfish shaped...

...but I don't have a little goldfish shaped cookie cutter...
...but a little brainstorm led me to some things that I do have...a spool of some type of metal strapping...from a WV project to put a bathroom fan in the attic...
...so first I just sketched a tessellating fish about the right size...
...then I just cut off a length of the metal strip sufficient to go around the outline of the fish...you can measure with a string to get 'just' the right amount of metal...and if I were using expensive copper I probably would have...but for this temporary cookie cutter I just guessed...
...it's easy to cut with tin snips...but if you don't have any...you can just bend the strip back and forth a few times and it will break...
...so then I just started bending the metal strip to match the outline I had drawn...
...I just bent it around the curve...
...to the tail...I'll come back to that in a minute...
...then I bent around the curve of the body on the other side...
...and bent the tail portions out...away from the body...
...then I made the curve of the tail fin on one side only...I didn't want a seam in the middle of the tail...and cut off the excess from each side...

...then I checked that it matched the outline...the fish cookie cutter is resting on the outline I drew...not sure if you can see that very well in the photo...

...and this metal is stiff enough not to need any additional joining technique...the curve of the top piece rests nicely against the opposite curve at the bottom of the tail fin...
...then I just checked the tessellation...and it's a pretty good match...

...this entire process took about 15 minutes...including gathering the material...I didn't want you to think that it was labor intensive...

...final test tomorrow...when I actually cut out some crackers...

~Wishing you a lovely start to your week...

2 comments:

  1. how cute!! will be fun to see the crackers!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang. Look at you go!

    ReplyDelete