Thursday, November 03, 2016

...more fall bounty...

...we are in full on fall harvest mode here...
...one of our sweet parishioners left us two buckets of grapes...
...so of course I washed those babies...
...and got them on the stove right away...
...just cook...and mash...
...and cook and mash...
...until they are done and most of the skins burst...

...the funny thing was...I was tasting the juice...like one does...and I tasted the purple juice and made a sour face...

...and I said to the Man...Wow!...these aren't nearly as sweet as those grapes Mom gave us...

...HAHA!...he laughed...that's because they're Purple Muscadines (Vitis rotundifolia)...and not Concord grapes like your Mom has...

...the green ones are called Scuppernong...but they're a variety of muscadine as well...
...but I treated both varieties just like the Goncord Grapes...
...and I just ran them through the food press...
...so I had a rather pulpy juice...
...which I ladled directly into canning jars without straining it through muslin...
...and the same process for the green muscadine...
...or 'bronze' as some folks call them...
...2 quarts of the green juice and about 1 1/2 quarts of the purple...that little jar is a repurposed peanut butter jar and it does have a lid...but I had to hunt for it so it's not in the photo...and I'm just going to use that little bit in smoothies over the next few days and not seal it up...

...what are you harvesting?...

~Have lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. oh, it's wonderful to be the recipient of fresh goodies!! i guess you're all set for the year with jelly? love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting, they don't look like grapes at all to me - clearly they are different from the grapes we see. The green ones look a bit like gooseberries! Such a warm community, such generosity is lovely.

    ReplyDelete