Monday, November 07, 2016

...Vegan Chiles Rellenos...

...I got this bag of Poblanos at our local grocery store...it's not something they always (or even usually) have...so naturally I snatched them right up...

...because the Man loves Chiles Rellenos...
...I was trying to keep the peppers as intact as possible...so I carefully removed the stem...
...and made a slit partway down the side to get as much of the white part and seeds out as I could...
...then I whipped up a batch of Stretchy Gooey Vegan Mozzarella (from It doesn't taste like chicken)...
...and just like always...it comes together quickly...from a clumpy mess...
...to perfectly stretchy, shiny vegan cheese...
...then I put it on some plastic wrap and put it into the freezer to get a little bit solid...not exactly necessary...but it makes putting the chiles together a little bit easier than with melty cheese...
...then I charred the peppers...
...and peeled them...
...kind of a messy job...but someone's got to do it...
...then the peppers were ready to go...
...I got the semi-hard vegan cheese out of the freezer...
...and assembled the chiles...
...just made a simple batter of self-rising corn meal and soymilk...about the consistency of pancake batter...no recipe...
...and fried them up until they were nice and golden...
...smashed up some pintos from the freezer for a refried bean side dish...
...and dinner was served...

...they looked delicious and they tasted that way too...

~Wishing you a lovely start to your week!

5 comments:

  1. WOW! I just love chiles rellenos!
    But it's so much work I never make any!
    Wish you were my neighbour; I would have "steal" one ;-)
    Nice week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look delicious. Have you tried batter made from corn flour, self raising flour and fizzy water? One part cornflour, one and a half parts self raising flour and gently added iced fizzy water. It might be a bit lumpy but use it straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that does look fabulous!! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite too, but I've never made them. May give it a try. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like something I would just LOVE!! And I've never heard of it before. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete