Saturday, February 25, 2017

...Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs...and a movie (series really)...

...so I had seen all of the internet hype about these carrot hot dogs...
...kinda like the stereotype that a lot of people have about vegans and vegetarians...that we would bring a carrot on a bun to a cookout as Tish from The Weekenders has done here...

...and I kinda...seriously...might bring one of these carrot hot dogs to a cookout...

...you'll see...it may sound kinda far fetched...but they wind up being kinda awesome...
...start with some carrots...but we're not going to just slap one on a bun...
...choose ones that are fairly straight already...peel them...and round the ends a bit...I saved all the extra little bits in a bowl for salads and such...
...mix up your marinade...

...I used the one from Clean Eating Veggie Girl...but there are a ton of variations out there if this one doesn't suit you...
...a lot of the recipes (this one too)...said to boil or steam the carrots until fork tender...but I thought they'd be better if they actually cooked in the marinade...so that's what I did...
...just baked until a fork inserts easily...like you'd test a baked potato...they're not quite there yet...
...but already...they kinda look like hot dogs...
...so I baked them a little bit longer and tested again...now they're ready...you don't want them falling apart tender...
...melt some Earth Balance in a pan...
...and fry up your carrot dogs...the marinade sort of coats them and gets all caramelized...they smell delicious...
...and now they really really look like hot dogs...
...time to try them out...I've got a bunch of other toppings...relish...sauerkraut...slaw...
...but for this first test...we'll just go with the classic mustard and ketchup...
...and they really are good...

...I can't say that I was ever that big of a fan of hot dogs...but I'd definitely munch on one of these at a BBQ or picnic...
...I wrapped up the leftovers nice and tight and put them in the freezer...so the next time I 'need' a hot dog...I'll have one... ...and now for the movie...

...we had watched the French Netflix series A Very Secret Service...last year...and thought it was very smart and funny...

...and then my dear overseas friend Maureen suggested Call My Agent...it's call Dix Pour Cent in French...

...so this week I chose to watch the next episode of that instead of a movie...

...what have you been watching?..and are you up for a Carrot Hot Dog?...

~Have a lovely weekend!

4 comments:

  1. that carrot dog looks good! and the leftovers will be handy.

    we've watched some old b&w classics, fun to see those famous stars when they were really young!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. should have named a couple of the movies - one was Stagecoach - it was supposedly John Wayne's "breakout" movie. another was Stage Door - it had Lucille Ball, Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Eve Arden, and Ann Miller. i knew they were beautiful ladies, but i guess i had never seen them when they were so young!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are great fans of those carrot dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We watched 'Margin Call' and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete